|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||48%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Bread and butter pudding is a traditional type of British bread pudding made of buttered bread, raisins, and egg custard. The recipe transforms milk, cream, and egg-soaked bread into a light, custard-like pudding in a mere 40 minutes in the oven. You do need to let it rest for half an hour to soak up the custard, so be sure to give yourself a little extra time.
This delicious dessert is an excellent way to use up stale white bread, making it a resourceful and very economical dish to cook. Remove the crust if you prefer, or leave it on. It works for other types of bread, too.
Click Play to See This Easy Bread Pudding Recipe Come Together
- 1/4 cup/55 grams (1/2 stick) butter (at room temperature)
- 10 slices soft white bread (cut diagonally)
- 1/2 cup/55 grams golden raisins (or sultanas)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups/350 milliliters milk
- 1/4 cup/50 milliliters heavy cream
- 2 large eggs (free-range)
- 4 tablespoons white sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 355 F/180 C. Grease a 1 quart/1 liter dish with a little of the butter.
Spread one side of each of the bread triangles with remaining butter.
Cover the base of the dish with overlapping triangles of bread, butter side up. Sprinkle half the golden raisins evenly over the bread, then lightly sprinkle with a little nutmeg and cinnamon. Repeat this layer one more time or until the dish is filled, finishing with the raisins on top.
In a saucepan, gently heat the milk and cream, but do not boil. Set aside.
In a medium-sized heatproof bowl, beat the eggs with 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the vanilla extract until light, airy, and pale in color.
Slowly pour the warm (not hot) milk over the eggs, whisking continuously, until all the milk is added.
Pour the egg mixture slowly and evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Gently press the bread down into the liquid. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the surface and set aside for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, bake the pudding in the hot oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the surface is golden brown, the pudding is well risen, and the eggs are set.
Serve hot and enjoy.
How to Store and Reheat
- Bread and butter pudding reheats well covered with aluminum foil in a hot oven. It's also delicious cold, cut into large wedges.
- It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days but is best eaten within 2 days. To prevent it from drying out, cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
- You can also freeze baked bread and butter pudding for up to 3 months. Let it cool completely and wrap it tightly in multiple layers of foil and seal in a freezer bag to trap the moisture.
- A bread and butter pudding can be made with Italian panettone, croissants, brioche, brown bread, and even hot cross buns.
- Use a vanilla bean instead of the vanilla extract. Split open the bean, scrape out the seeds, and add the seeds to the milk and cream before heating. Let the beans infuse for 5 minutes before straining the milk over the beaten eggs.
What's the Difference Between Bread and Butter Pudding and Bread Pudding?
There are many bread pudding recipes. Though they're all a little different, the egg custard and cinnamon-nutmeg spices are common. Bread and butter pudding is popular in the United Kingdom and you will find recipes in the United States that are nearly identical. The primary differences are that British recipes butter the bread before it's soaked in the custard, include raisins or sultanas, and typically don't cover the dessert in a sweet sauce when serving. Many other bread pudding recipes use cubed bread rather than larger pieces. However, none of these elements is exclusive to the U.K.'s bread and butter pudding.