|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||48%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Bread-and-butter pudding is a traditional type of British bread pudding made of buttered bread, raisins, and egg custard. Milk, cream, and egg-soaked bread are transformed into a light, custardlike pudding in a mere 40 minutes in the oven. This dessert is an excellent way to use up leftover white bread, making this a resourceful and very economical dish to cook.
Click Play to See This Easy Bread Pudding Recipe Come Together
- 1/4 cup/55 grams (1/2 stick) butter (at room temperature)
- 10 slices of soft white or brown bread (cut diagonally across)
- 1/2 cup/55 grams golden raisins or sultanas
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups/350 milliliters milk
- 1/4 cup/50 milliliters heavy cream
- 2 large eggs (free-range)
- 4 tablespoons white sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 355 F/180 C. Grease a 1 quart/1 liter dish with a little of the butter.
Spread one side of each of the bread triangles with remaining butter.
Cover the base of the dish with overlapping triangles of bread, butter side up. Sprinkle half the golden raisins evenly over the bread, then lightly sprinkle with a little nutmeg and cinnamon. Repeat this layer one more time or until the dish is filled, finishing with the raisins on top.
In a saucepan, gently heat the milk and cream, but do not boil. Set aside.
In a medium-sized heatproof bowl, beat the eggs with 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the vanilla extract until light, airy, and pale in color.
Slowly pour the warm (not hot) milk over the eggs, whisking continuously, until all the milk is added.
Pour the egg mixture slowly and evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Gently press the bread down into the liquid. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the surface and set aside for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, bake the pudding in the hot oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the surface is golden brown, the pudding is well risen, and the eggs are set.
Serve hot and enjoy.
- Bread-and-butter pudding reheats well covered with aluminum foil in a hot oven. It's also delicious cold, cut into large wedges.
- Use a vanilla bean instead of the vanilla extract. Split open the bean, scrape out the seeds, and add the seeds to the milk and cream before heating. Let the beans infuse for 5 minutes before straining the milk over the beaten eggs.