These tasty stuffed mushrooms make an excellent appetizer for a party or family gathering. The mushrooms are stuffed with a delicious mixture of bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and chopped peppers and onions.
Feel free to substitute finely chopped celery for the chopped bell peppers in this recipe. The recipe is easily scaled up for a party.
Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
- Heat the oven to 325 F (165 C/Gas 3). Butter a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the mushroom caps in a single layer.
- Clean the mushrooms; remove stems, leaving caps whole. Chop the stems finely.
- Saute the mushroom caps in 3 tablespoons of butter until tender; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Saute the chopped stems, green pepper, and chopped onion in the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter until onion is translucent.
- To the onion and pepper mixture, add the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the bread crumb mixture and then sprinkle each with a small amount of Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange the stuffed mushroom caps in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the filling has browned.
Tips and Variations
- Use crimini mushrooms in the recipe.
- Add some crumbled cooked sausage or bacon to the filling mixture.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|