The automatic bread machine takes the drudgery out of homemade bread-baking. If you like a classically shaped loaf or round loaf, you can use the machine to mix and knead the dough and then finish it in a conventional pan or on a baking sheet.
This easy bread machine oatmeal bread is flavored with a combination of honey and molasses. It's a fabulous toasting bread, and it makes great sandwiches. You'll love this lightly sweetened bread with jam in the morning, and it is particularly good with baked beans.
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1/2 cup oats (old-fashioned)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast (sprinkled over flour)
- Put the oats in a mixing bowl. Pour the 1 cup of boiling water over the oats and set aside.
- When oats have cooled but are still a bit warm (about 105 F to 110 F), transfer them to the bread machine pan. Make sure they are not much hotter or the heat could kill the yeast.
- Add the remaining ingredients according to your bread machine manufacturer's manual.
- Bake on light setting.
- The recipe makes a 1 1/2-pound loaf.
Use the machine to mix and knead and then shape into a round loaf or into small rolls. Bake at 350 F for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped with a finger.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|