|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 37g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delicious homemade honey wheat yeast bread recipe is made in the bread machine, meaning preparation is almost hands-free. It's a wonderful bread for sandwiches and toast, with a light sweetness that complements a variety of ingredients. And the aroma of the bread as it bakes will have everyone salivating for a slice. You can also make the dough for dinner rolls instead of a loaf, using the dough cycle on your machine.
You will need to consult the instructions for your bread machine as models can differ in the order in which you add the ingredients. (If you have misplaced the manual, most models have the directions available online, along with instructional videos.)
"This is the Wonder Bread of my childhood dreams. It’s soft, light, and slightly sweet with a beautiful rise and gorgeous crust. Six ingredients and no additives make this the healthiest white bread you can eat, right? I could be talked into making this every week, especially since the bread machine does all the work." —Carrie Parente
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Gather the ingredients.
Add the ingredients to the bread machine pan in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer. Choose the basic or white bread setting and the medium crust setting. Start the bread machine.
Remove the hot loaf as soon as it is finished. If you leave it in the machine, it can get soggy. Place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Once cooled, slice the bread and serve, or store it for future use.
- Yeast requires special attention to its "use by" date—if the yeast is too old, it will take longer to rise. It can also go bad. Store yeast in the refrigerator or freezer to help maintain its freshness.
- If you have a type other than active dry yeast, use this conversion: 2 teaspoons active dry yeast equals 1 1/2 teaspoons rapid-rise, instant, or bread machine yeast.
- To avoid a dense bread, make sure to use bread flour instead of all-purpose when using a bread machine.
- If you will be using the bread over the next three days, you can store it at room temperature in foil, plastic wrap, or a plastic bag. Choose a cool, dry place to keep your bread loaf.
- For longer storage, you can freeze the bread. Place the cooled loaf in a storage bag in the freezer and label the bag with the date, contents, and a "use by" date three months in the future. Allow it to thaw at room temperature for an hour.
Recipe Variation: Making Rolls
You can use the same recipe to make milk and honey dinner rolls. Add the ingredients to your bread machine and use the dough setting. Then remove the dough, divide into 10 to 12 pieces, and shape the dough into rolls on a floured surface. Place the rolls in a pan and let them rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled. Bake the rolls at 375 F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Why use milk in a bread recipe?
Adding milk to bread dough makes for a richer bread with a velvety texture and softer crust that browns nicely. Milk also adds nutrients and improves the bread's shelf life.