This recipe makes enough pizza dough for two 12-inch thick-crust pizzas. If you don't need two pizzas, freeze half of the dough for later! Or make two or three pizzas and freeze them, toppings and all. See the tips and variations below the recipe instructions for more. The number of pizzas depends in part on the thickness of your crust. Instead of 2 or 3 thin crust pizzas, you could make one thick-crust 12-inch deep-dish pizza.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 3 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar (granulated)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add ingredients to your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Choose the dough cycle.
- Remove the dough and roll it out to fit into pizza pans, forming a 1-inch thick edge.
- Brush with a little olive oil or vegetable oil, then let the crust rise for 10 to 15 minutes. Spread with tomato sauce or toppings of choice.
- Bake pizza at 400 F for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until crust is browned and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Tips and Variations
How to Freeze and Defrost Homemade Pizza Dough - To freeze pizza dough, prepare and let it rise in the bread machine on dough cycle. Divide it into pizza-size portions (depending on the size of your pan(s). Rub some olive oil over the dough ball and place it in a freezer bag. Seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Store the dough in the freezer for up to 3 months. To defrost, remove the dough from the freezer and let it defrost in the refrigerator for about 12 hours or overnight. Take the dough out of the bag and let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
How to Freeze a Prepared Homemade Pizza - Line one or more pans with the pizza dough and bake the dough at 450° F for about 4 minutes, or until dry looking but not browned. Cool completely, add sauce, toppings, and shredded cheese, and freeze on a baking sheet until frozen solid. Wrap the frozen pizza(s) in plastic wrap and then wrap in foil. Store the pizzas in the freezer for up to 3 months. Bake the frozen pizzas at 450° F or hotter on a baking stone or in a pizza pan for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the cheese is bubbling.
Basil Pizza Dough - Add 2 teaspoons of dried leaf basil to the dry ingredients.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough - Replace 1 cup of the bread flour with 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
Parmesan and Herb Pizza Dough - Add 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon of an Italian herb blend or a combination of dried leaf basil and oregano to the flour mixture.
Garlic Pizza Dough - Crush and finely mince 3 cloves of garlic and add to the bread machine with the oil.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|