This wonderful bread pudding is one of the Beaumont Inn's favorite desserts. The warm bourbon sauce makes the perfect topping.
"This is a favorite at our Sunday Brunch." — Chef Nick Sundberg, Beaumont Inn, Harrodsburg, Kentucky
I doubled the amount of cinnamon in the recipe. Add even more, if you like. I didn't have buttermilk when I made this so I used evaporated milk, and I made the sauce with half brown sugar and Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup. See the tips and variations for more substitution ideas.
- 1 pound French bread (the firmer the better)
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pecans
- Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 cup raisins
- For the Bourbon Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (or more)
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Tear bread into medium pieces. Put the bread in a large bowl and add the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix milk, lightly beaten eggs, and vanilla. Add to bread mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the pecans and raisins, if used. Top with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm with bourbon sauce (below).
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the 1 cup of granulated sugar with 6 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, 1 tablespoon of bourbon, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of white corn syrup, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Bring the sauce mixture to a boil. Continue boiling for 1 minute.
- If desired, strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve.
- Serve the sauce warm drizzled over the bread pudding.
- Tips and Variations
- Use dried cranberries instead of raisins, or make it with currants or chocolate chips.
- Replace the pecans with chopped walnuts.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|