This hot cereal is loaded with texture and flavor. Top the bulgur cereal with a drizzling of maple syrup and raisins, or top with fresh blueberries or strawberries. This cereal is a nice change from oatmeal or cream of wheat.
This recipe is easily doubled for a family breakfast.
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat (medium grind)
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups milk (skim or 1%, plus more for serving)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed, light or dark)
- Optional Toppings: brown sugar, maple syrup, blueberries, strawberries, raisins, dried cranberries
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, combine the bulgur, 1 cup milk, salt, and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened and tender, about 12 to 16 minutes. Add a little more milk or water if needed as it nears the end of cooking time.
- Serve with a little maple syrup and/or brown sugar, or top with berries, raisins, or dried cranberries, as desired.
Any-Grain Crock Pot Porridge Grease the insides of a slow cooker with 1 tablespoon of butter. Add grits, bulgur wheat, or oats with the amount of water and salt indicated on the package (usually a 2 to 1 ratio, or 2 cups of water per 1 cup of grain). Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Add chopped apples and cinnamon, raisins and nuts, or your favorite add-ins.
You Might Also Like