This great tasting breakfast casserole recipe is made with hash browns, eggs, and ham or Canadian bacon. The layers of potatoes, vegetables, and Canadian bacon (or ham) are bound together with eggs.
I love that there are so many vegetables in this casserole. It can be served for a special brunch or evening meal. Feel free to vary the type of cheese you use or change the vegetables up a bit. This would be good with diced corned beef as well.
- 1 bag (30 ounces) frozen Southern Style hash browns or a 32 ounce bag shredded hash browns, thawed
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces thinly sliced Canadian bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced, optional
- 12 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Spread the thawed hash browns in a deep 11x14-inch lasagna or roasting pan; season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the potato layer.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the Canadian bacon slices in 2 tablespoons of butter; set aside.
- In the same skillet saute the onion, peppers, and mushrooms until tender. Add another tablespoon of butter.
- Spoon the sauteed vegetable mixture over the cheese layer. Top with sliced tomatoes, if using.
- Arrange slices of Canadian bacon over the vegetables, overlapping if necessary. Top with remaining cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the milk; pour over the casserole. Using a spatula, gently press all over to soak all of the layers with egg mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Bake the casserole for 35 to 45 minutes, until set.*
Cool slightly before slicing.
Serves 8 to 12.
*To check the temperature of the casserole for doneness, insert a food thermometer into the center. It should register at least 160 F (71.1 C).
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||49 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|