With the bold flavor of smoked brisket, you want a barbecue sauce that is rich and loaded with flavor. This classic style, tomato-based barbecue sauce has that perfect combination of tangy sweet with a hint of heat that is perfect for barbecue brisket. This sauce goes on the brisket after it has been smoked and sliced. It is probably best to just put a bottle of this on the table and let everyone add as much as they want.
- 1/2 cup onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
Gather the ingredients.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Bring to a boil over a medium-high heat.
As soon as the sauce starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce reaches the desired thickness.
Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes before using.
- If making ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 days after preparations.