Broccoli and cheese is a delicious combination, and when you roll the two together in a puff pastry dough then even the kids will eat it up. Serve this Broccoli Cheese Roll with fish for a family dinner or as an easy dairy side dish for Shavuot.
Miri's Recipe Testing Notes and Tips:
The original recipe called for spreading the puff pastry with the broccoli mixture and rolling it up jelly-roll style, however this can result in undercooked pastry at the interior of the roll. If you'd like to try for a pinwheel-style roll, it's a good idea to slice the roll crosswise into rounds, and lay them flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet, so that the pastry can cook through. If you'd rather not fuss, wrap the fillin up in a strudel-style roll, as described in the insructions below.
The broccoli filling is quite mild; if you prefer a more flavorful filling, add fresh chopped garlic sauteed in olive oil to the cheese mixture. Or, try adding a pinch of nutmeg, or fresh chopped herbs to the mix.
The puff pastry must be thoroughly thawed before you begin this recipe. This can take several hours, so plan accordingly!
- 1 package/14 to 17ounces puff pastry sheets (defrosted according to package directions)
- 1 bag/16 ounces broccoli (frozen, chopped)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese)
- 1/3 cup Swiss cheese (or cheddar, grated)
- Optional: kosher or sea salt
- Optional: freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: garlic powder
- 1 large egg yolk (lightly beaten)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the broccoli in a large saucepan. Cook according to the package directions, until the broccoli until soft enough to mash with a fork. Drain well in a colander. Set the colander over the saucepan and mash the broccoli with a fork (the saucepan will catch any water you squeeze out as you mash the broccoli.
3. Transfer the mashed broccoli to a large bowl. Add the cottage or ricotta cheese and the grated Swiss or cheddar cheeses. Mix well. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, if using.
4. Unfold the dough, and lightly flour both sides. Roll out gently into a rectangle. Spoon the broccoli and cheese mixture down one long side of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border along the top, and bottom. Starting at the long end, begin to roll the dough around the filling. Fold the short ends over the filling, then continue to roll the dough up so that all of the broccoli-cheese mixture is inside.
5. Lay the roll seam-side down on the prepared cookie sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut several slashes through the top layer of pastry so steam can escape. Brush the top of the roll with egg yolk. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, or until the roll is puffed and golden.
Variation: Add sauteed mushrooms to the broccoli cheese mixture.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||38 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|