Broccoli bacon salad is a classic recipe, updated using fresh red grapes and dried cranberries instead of raisins. Of course, you can use raisins if you'd like. Or try dried cherries. Or use a combination of grapes, raisins, craisins, and dried cherries. However you make it, this salad is delicious.
- 2 (24-ounce) bags frozen broccoli florets OR 4 bunches fresh broccoli
- 16 ounces thick-cut bacon
- 1 red or yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups red grapes
- 1 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add frozen florets; bring back to a boil and immediately remove broccoli; place in ice water to shock, then drain on paper towels.
- If you are using fresh broccoli, cut the florets off the main stem. Rinse well, then simmer in water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain well, shock in ice water, and drain on paper towels.
- Cook bacon until very crisp in a large saucepan; drain on paper towels and crumble. Drain off bacon fat from pan but do not wipe out. Add red onion and garlic to the pan; cook for 3 to 4 minutes until vegetables just start to soften.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, crumbled bacon, onion, and garlic. Add grapes and sliced almonds; toss gently.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well with wire whisk. Add to the broccoli salad and stir gently to coat. Cover and chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|