Broccoli Bacon Salad is a classic recipe, updated using fresh red grapes and dried cranberries instead of raisins. Of course, you can use raisins if you'd like. Or try dried cherries. Or use a combination of grapes, raisins, craisins, and dried cherries. However you make it, this salad is delicious.
- 2 (24-ounce) bags frozen broccoli florets OR 4 bunches fresh broccoli
- 16 ounces thick-cut bacon
- 1 red or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red grapes
- 1 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add frozen florets; bring back to a boil and immediately remove broccoli; place in ice water to shock, then drain on paper towels.
2. If you are using fresh broccoli, cut the florets off the main stem. Rinse well, then simmer in water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain well, shock in ice water, and drain on paper towels.
3. Cook bacon until very crisp in a large saucepan; drain on paper towels and crumble.
Drain off bacon fat from pan but do not wipe out. Add red onion and garlic to the pan; cook for 3-4 minutes until vegetables just start to soften.
4. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, crumbled bacon, onion, and garlic. Add grapes and sliced almonds; toss gently.
5. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well with wire whisk. Add to the broccoli salad and stir gently to coat. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|