This tasty broccoli casserole is the perfect side dish for a scrumptious holiday dinner, or bake it to go along with an everyday family meal.
- 10 to 12 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash of pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar (6 ounces)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- Arrange the cooked and drained broccoli in the prepared casserole.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet or sauté pan; add onion and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour until well blended and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the pepper, nutmeg, salt, and half-and-half. Continue cooking over low heat until thickened. Stir in cheese and cook just until cheese is melted.
- Add about one-third of the hot cheese sauce mixture to the beaten eggs; add back to the hot mixture, blending well. Pour over the broccoli.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the broccoli casserole and comes out clean.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||29 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|