Broccoli and cottage cheese make this cornbread super moist, delicious, and nutritious. This recipe is the Mississippi version of the popular broccoli cornbread. It's easy to make with a Jiffy corn muffin mix.
It's an excellent bread to take along to a potluck or for a tailgating event. It goes well with beans, chili, and greens. Add some cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese to the broccoli cornbread if you like.
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix, or similar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 sticks melted butter or margarine (6 ounces)
- 1 pkg. (10 ounces) chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan
- Combine the corn muffin mixes in a bowl with the beaten eggs and melted butter. Mix well. Stir in the drained broccoli, chopped onion, and cottage cheese.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese to the cornbread and sprinkle extra shredded cheese over the top before it goes into the oven.
- Use fresh broccoli. Steam about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of chopped broccoli or small florets in a small amount of water for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until just tender. Let the broccoli cool and then add it to the batter.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder for a more pronounced onion flavor. Chopped green onions may be added as well.
- Bake the batter in muffin cups for about 18 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|