This flavorful broccoli quiche is made with frozen chopped broccoli, cheddar cheese, and mushrooms. Like most quiches, this one is versatile. Use Swiss cheese or a cheddar jack blend, or add some diced ham, cooked crumbled bacon, turkey, or chicken for a heartier dish. See the tips and variations for more add-in suggestions and substitution ideas.
Use a deep dish frozen pie pastry, a ready-made refrigerated pastry, or homemade pastry. See this food processor pastry or the all-butter pastry — make a double batch of pastry and freeze a disk for another day.
Serve this quiche for lunch, brunch or dinner, with soup or a salad.
- 1 9-inch pie shell, homemade, frozen, or with refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped broccoli, about 1 1/2 cups
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided, or a Cheddar blend
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Fit the chilled and rolled pastry into the pie plate. Line the pastry with a sheet of foil and press lightly against the bottom and sides. Fill the shell with pie weights or dried beans. If you use a frozen deep dish pie crust, check the package for specific directions for partially baking.
- Bake the pie crust about 10 minutes or until bottom is slightly brown. Remove the pie weights and place the pie shell on a rack to cool.
- Steam the broccoli for 3 to 5 minutes, or just until tender; drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs, melted butter or margarine, flour, salt, pepper and 3/4 cup cheese; whisk until well blended. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over crust. Layer broccoli and mushrooms on cheese. Pour milk and egg mixture over all.
- Bake in the 375 F oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
4 to 6 servings.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the frozen broccoli with fresh broccoli florets. Steam them in about an inch of water for about the same amount of time, or until just tender.
- Omit the mushrooms or replace with diced seeded tomatoes.
- Add 1/4 cup of green onion to the quiche along with the broccoli.
- Add about 1/2 cup of diced ham or some cooked crumbled bacon to the quiche after the cheese.
- Add 1/2 cup of diced cooked turkey or chicken to the quiche after the layer of cheese.
- Top the quiche with thinly sliced tomato just before it goes into the oven. Sprinkle the tomatoes with a few extra tablespoons of shredded cheese.
You Might Also Like