A basic white sauce forms the base for this easy cheese and mushroom sauce, and it makes a nice topping for the cooked broccoli spears.
- 2 pounds broccoli spears (fresh)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cheddar cheese (or American, shredded)
- Garnish: paprika to taste
- Cook broccoli in boiling salted water just until tender.
- Melt butter in saucepan; sauté mushrooms until tender. Stir in flour until smooth and bubbly. Stir in salt and mustard.
- Gradually add chicken broth, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour sauce over hot cooked, well-drained broccoli. Sprinkle with paprika.
More Broccoli Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|