This is a big grill, so remember to only buy a grill this size if it fits your needs. This one will grill enough for a dozen people and if that is the need, then this is an excellent choice. If not, look for something smaller, like the Broil King Baron 440 which is $200 USD less. It should also be noted that aside from the underpowered side burner, this grill has no extras. If the size is right, get the Baron 590 which has a full rotisserie system, expanding the versatility of the grill.
Dual tube burners for even heating front to back
Heavy stainless steel cooking grates
Underpowered side burner
- Five 10,000 BTU dual tube stainless steel burners.
- 555 square inches primary cooking area with a total of 805 square inches.
- 50,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners.
- 10,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover.
- Porcelain steel construction with cast aluminum end caps with double layer hood with stainless steel doors, hood, control panel and side tables.
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates.
- Electric (AA-battery) ignition.
- Propane tank and cover sold separately.
- Made in the USA by Onward Manufacturing Company.
Now available through Lowe's Home Improvement Stores for a great price of $699 USD, the Baron 540-S, or as it is also known the Broil King Baron 5-Burner Stainless Steel, is a large, well-built grill. This 5-burner unit is very large. Generally, people should buy a grill only as big as they need, and this one will fit the needs of only those who cook for a lot of people.
Aside from the size issue, this model is typical of Broil King's superior construction and features. The stainless steel burners are two tubes, one inside the other, allowing for an even flow of gas front to back. While many gas grills suffer from uneven heating in this direction, the dual-tube burners on this model compensate for that problem and deliver even heat. While five burners mean a lot of knobs to turn, this configuration evens the heat side to side.
There is a 10,000 BTU side burner on this model that is lightweight and underpowered. If a powerful side burner is needed, it would be best to look elsewhere. Fortunately, most people don't use the side burner on their grill so this isn't much of an issue for most, but it is good to point it out before making a purchase.
Overall, the construction of this grill is very good and solid. This grill is superior to most all the mass market units in the price range.