|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 dozen (12 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delicious and aromatic brown rice pilaf is made with Basmati rice, chopped mushrooms, green onions, chicken broth, and toasted pecans, along with seasonings and optional dry white wine.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms (baby bella or button, chopped)
- 1/2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 cup basmati brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 to 4 tablespoons white wine (dry, or more chicken broth or water)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped, toasted)
- black pepper (to taste)
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the butter and olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 3 minutes.
Add green onions and cook for 1 minute longer.
Add brown rice and continue to cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth, salt, and thyme. Quickly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer over low heat for about 45 to 55 minutes. Check and stir occasionally, adding the wine or more broth as needed.
Add toasted pecans and freshly ground pepper.
Stir and cook for another minute or two.
- To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350 F oven, stirring occasionally, for about 8 to 12 minutes. Alternatively, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.