Toasted slivered almonds flavor these shaped butter cookies and give them great crunch.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 72 whole almonds (or 36 almonds, halved)
- Cream butter; gradually add sugars, beating well at medium speed of an electric hand-held mixer.
- Add eggs, blending well.
- Dissolve soda in vinegar.
- Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with vinegar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir in slivered almonds and almond extract.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Gently press a whole almond or almond half into center of each cookie.
- Bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool almond cookies on wire racks.
Makes about 6 dozen cookies.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|