These sweet potatoes are cooked with a brown sugar and butter sauce in a skillet.
Candied sweet potatoes are a relatively light alternative to a heavier sweet potato casserole. Feel free to add a little cinnamon for spiced sweet potatoes, or add some pecan halves to the syrup with the sweet potatoes.
The sweet potatoes are cooked just until tender and then they're simmered in a brown sugar syrup until glazed to perfection.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cooked just until tender but firm (see below)
- kosher salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Let the cooked sweet potatoes (see below) cool until they are cool enough to handle. You can run cold water over them to speed up the cooling process.
- Peel the cooled sweet potatoes cut them in half or into chunks and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- In a large skillet mix brown sugar with water and butter. Bring to a full boil.
- Place potato halves or chunks in syrup and reduce the heat to low. Cook the sweet potatoes over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are well glazed and candied.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
- Microwave: Scrub the sweet potatoes and pierce them in several places. Place them on a microwave-safe plate and microwave at 100 percent power for about 4 minutes, or just until fork tender but still quite firm. Put them in cold water and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Stovetop: Put washed unpeeled sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover the pan. Boil gently until the sweet potatoes are slightly tender but still firm, about 20 minutes. Cover them with cold water to stop the cooking. Slip the skins off when the potatoes are cool enough to handle.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the water with apple juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, or apple cider.
- Add 1 cup of toasted pecan halves to the syrup with the sweet potatoes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or a few cinnamon sticks to the boiling syrup.
You Also Might Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|