These easy golden beets are flavored with a brown sugar sauce. The brown sugar is combined with butter and apple juice or orange juice for a simple sauce. Feel free to replace the apple or orange juice with pineapple juice or apricot nectar.
The recipe may also be made with red beets, white beets, or the striped chioggia beet.
- 2 bunches golden beets, about 6 to 8 beets
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed (light or dark)
- 3 tablespoons apple juice or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cook the Beets
- Cut the leaves and stems from the beets and scrub them under cold running water. Put the whole, unpeeled beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for about 20 to 30 minutes, until tender. Alternatively, coat each whole beet with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place them in a baking pan and roast in a preheated 375 F oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender.
- Slip skins from the cooked beets and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces.
Make the Sauce
- In a large skillet or saute pan, combine the brown sugar, apple or orange juice, and butter. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the cooked, peeled, and diced beets to the sauce. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the liquid has evaporated and the beets are glazed with the sauce, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spiced Glazed Beets: Add about 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg to the sauce mixture.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|