Is there a better, sweeter flavor combination than maple and brown sugar? We don't think so!
These sweet treats are made with light, fluffy brown sugar cupcake bases. Richly flavored with vanilla extract and all brown sugar, they're soft and moist thanks to the addition of buttermilk (if you don't have any buttermilk on hand, try one of these easy substitutes!) and are sure to be a new favorite.
These brown sugar cupcakes are topped off with a maple frosting–made with cream cheese for a subtle tang that will keep your cupcakes from being too sweet. Maple isn't just for pancakes anymore!
- For Brown Sugar Cupcakes:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature preferred
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature preferred
- For Maple Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For Brown Sugar Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 12-count muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer) and beat on medium speed until ingredients are well combined and light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, beat well.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Remove butter/sugar mixture from stand mixer and use a spatula to gradually fold in about 1/4 of the flour mixture by hand, until just combined.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and use spatula to fold in until just combined.
- Continue to alternate adding flour and buttermilk until the ingredients are completely combined. Take care to not overmix the batter but do make sure the ingredients are well combined and the batter is smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter and bake on 350 F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until cupcake tops spring back when gently touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with few moist crumbs.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely in pans before frosting.
For Maple Frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, beat together softened cream cheese and butter until well-combined.
- Add brown sugar, beat until well incoorporated.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until completely combined.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt, and stir until ingredients are thoroughly combined, pausing to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula.
- Pipe or spread frosting over cooled cupcakes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|