This is a delicious pecan pie, made with brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and pecans. Use the flaky pie pastry below or your own favorite, or use a purchased unbaked refrigerated or frozen pie shell.
This pie may be baked in a purchased or homemade gluten-free pie crust as well.
- For the Pie Pastry:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter (cold and cut into small pieces)
- 5 tablespoons shortening (cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup water (ice cold)
- Optional: 1 egg white (lightly beaten)
- For the Pecan Pie Filling:
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 1/4 cups pecan halves
- In a food processor, combine flours, powdered sugar, and salt. Pulse a few times to combine. Sprinkle pieces of butter over the flour mixture, stir in lightly, then pulse about 6 times. Sprinkle shortening pieces over the mixture, stir in lightly, then pulse about 6 to 7 more times. Sprinkle with half of the water. Pulse 5 times. Sprinkle with remaining water; pulse about 6 times, until dough begins to clump.
- Empty the large crumbs into a bowl. Pack and knead just 2 or 3 times.
- Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Roll out on a floured surface to fit the pie pan. Fold over and fit into the pan, cutting off excess. Form a decorative edge around the plate. Before adding the filling, brush with a little of the beaten egg white, if desired.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs, corn syrup, salt, vanilla, brown sugar, and melted butter; stir to blend well. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 400 F. for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350° and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer.
- Cover crust edge with a pie ring or foil ring if browning too much. The outer edge of filling should be slightly puffed and set, and middle will not be very jiggly.
- Let the pie cool completely on a rack.
- Serve with whipped cream or whipped topping or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|