|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 36 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Who doesn't love buttery, crispy shortbread? This brown sugar shortbread is always a winner, and, with only 5 ingredients, it is one of the easiest cookies to prepare and bake.
These simple brown sugar shortbread cookies are delicious with or without decoration. Add a little vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar to the tops just before baking or dip them in some melted chocolate or white chocolate after they've cooled.
- 1 cup/8 ounces unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark, packed)
- 2 cups flour (9 ounces)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: cinnamon sugar (or plain granulated sugar)
- Optional: vanilla sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or leave them ungreased. Heat the oven to 325 F.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
To the first mixture of butter and brown sugar, add the flour, cornstarch, and salt; beat on the lowest speed of the mixer just until the dough comes together but still appears crumbly.
Dump the dough mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth. Lightly roll the dough out to a thickness of approximately 1/2-inch.
Cut the dough into rectangles or strips with a cookie cutter, pizza cutter, or knife. Arrange on the parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about an inch between cookies. Using a fork or skewer, pierce each cookie in several places. If desired, sprinkle the unbaked cookies with vanilla sugar, granulated sugar, or a mixture of granulated sugar and cinnamon (combine about 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar).
Bake the shortbread cookies in the preheated oven for about 20 to 24 minutes, or until the cookies look dry and the edges begin to brown.
Carefully remove the cookies to a rack to cool completely. Store the shortbread in a tightly covered container at room temperature.
- Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies: Cool the cookies completely. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips with 2 teaspoons of shortening. Microwave on High for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until the chocolate has melted. Stir until smooth and well blended. Dip a portion of each cooled cookie in the melted chocolate and place on a sheet of wax paper or parchment until the chocolate is firm and set. If desired, sprinkle the chocolate with finely chopped nuts before it has set.
- Instead of rolling the cookie dough and cutting it out, pat it into two lightly greased 9-inch round cake pans or tart pans. Prick the dough all over. Bake as directed and then immediately turn the shortbread out onto a work surface and cut each round into thin wedges while it is still warm.
- Beat 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract into the butter and sugar mixture before adding the dry ingredients.