Who doesn't love buttery, crispy shortbread? Brown sugar shortbread is my favorite flavor, and it is one of the easiest cookies to make and bake.
These simple brown sugar shortbread cookies are delicious with or without decoration. Add a little vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar to the tops just before baking or dip them in some melted chocolate or white chocolate after they've cooled.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 cups flour (9 ounces)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (or vanilla sugar)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or leave them ungreased.
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the flour, cornstarch, and salt; beat on low speed just until the dough comes together but still crumbles.
- Dump the dough mixture onto a floured surface and knead about 6 to 8 to make a smooth dough. Lightly roll the dough to between 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into rectangles or strips with a cookie cutter or knife. Arrange on the parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between cookies.
- Using a fork, pierce each cookie 2 or 4 times.
- If desired, sprinkle with vanilla sugar or a mixture of granulated sugar and cinnamon (a mixture of about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar).
- Bake the shortbread for about 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Carefully remove the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
Makes about 3 to 4 dozen, depending on size.
Store the shortbread in a tightly covered container at room temperature.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|