These drop cookies are easy to mix and bake, and the sour cream and brown sugar give them excellent flavor and texture. These are wonderful cookies to bake for a weekend treat, and they are perfect for lunchboxes.
About 1 cup of chopped nuts can be added to the batter before baking, or add chocolate chips or mini chips. Toffee crunch bits or chopped dates would be delicious as well.
Use light brown or dark brown sugar in the cookies.
Dip the cookies in the optional chocolate glaze or drizzle it over the cookies.
Sour Cream Oatmeal Cookies
- 4 ounces butter, 1 stick, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, about 8 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 cups chopped nuts, raisins, flavored chips or other chopped dried fruit, optional
- For the Optional Chocolate Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water, boiling
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone baking mats, or grease them lightly.
- Cream butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, sour cream, and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt until well blended. Fold in any additions, if using.
- Drop by tablespoon or small cookie scoop onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the cookies to racks to cool completely.
Optional Chocolate Glaze
- Combine the 2 tablespoons of butter and chocolate in a saucepan. Place the saucepan over low heat and cook until the chocolate has melted, stirring frequently.
- Stir sifted powdered sugar into the chocolate mixture. Beat, adding small amounts of the boiling water until thinned as desired. If too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies in the chocolate or drizzle the chocolate over the cookies.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|