To make perfect bruschetta, you must start with crusty country loaves that will yield large slices. As for thickness, about 1 inch provides the perfect bite and enough heft to support weighty toppings. This is the classic bruschetta, served with fresh tomatoes and basil. You can substitute other herbs for the basil, such as thyme or oregano. Check below for 10 More Bruschetta Toppings.
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, preheat a gas grill to medium, or preheat the broiler.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Grill or broil the bread until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place on a large platter, rub the garlic over the tops, and then brush with the oil.
4. Using a slotted spoon, divide the tomato mixture among the toast slices.
Serve right away.
More Bruschetta Toppings
The toppings for bruschetta can be as humble or as luxurious as you like. The only rule you should follow is that whatever goes on top should look nice and fresh. Here are a few additional topping ideas:
• Marinated vegetables, such as bell peppers, artichokes, and zucchini
• Fresh soft, cheeses such as goat and mozzarella
• Bocconcini, marinated fresh small mozzarella balls
• Cooked and flaked crab or lobster meat
• Grilled shrimp or bay scallops
• Grilled vegetables
• Olive tapenade
• Marinated white beans and herbs
• Horseradish spread and thinly sliced roast beef
• Fig spread and goat cheese
Recipe Notes and Tips
• Think of tomatoes as a fruit (actually they are berries). Buy them a few days ahead and let them ripen at home, just as you would bananas or avocados.
• Choose smooth unblemished tomatoes that feel heavy for their size and have firm, not mushy flesh.
• Never refrigerate tomatoes. Cold temperatures kill their flavor and stop the ripening process. Instead, leave tomatoes at room temperature, stem-side ups and away from direct sunlight (which destroys vitamins A and C).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|