Miss eating oven-roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon at Thanksgiving or Christmas? Why not try this traditional holiday dish with store-bought vegetarian bacon instead?
In this vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free recipe, Brussels sprouts and shallots are oven roasted with vegetarian bacon, a splash of white wine and a generous drizzle of olive oil and kosher salt. If you can't find shallots, use pearl onions or just a combination of garlic cloves and onions. This recipe might also be nice with a few mushrooms tossed in.
If you like using vegetarian bacon, you might also want to try out this vegan version of a "bacon and eggs" tofu scramble, perfect for a vegan brunch or brinner.
- 1 5-ounce package vegetarian bacon, diced
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, coarsely chopped
- 2 large shallots, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons white wine
- sea salt or kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a baking pan.
- Place chopped brussels sprouts in baking pan. Drizzle with two tablespoons of olive oil and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and heat the vegetarian bacon, being careful not to over cook.
- Remove vegetarian bacon from the pan and add it to the baking pan with brussels sprouts, reserving the extra olive oil.
- Heat shallots in remaining olive oil, stirring frequently for a minute or two, then add a generous splash of white wine, stirring to combine. Heat for another 2-3 minutes until most of the liquid is gone, then add to the brussels sprouts in baking pan, tossing just to combine.
- Place the pan in the oven and heat for 10 minutes. Carefully remove baking pan from oven and stir Brussels sprouts, just to ensure a more even cooking. Return pan to the oven and heat another 10 minutes until Brussel sprouts are softened and lightly browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|