This vegetarian dish is traditionally served on New Year's Day. For extra flavor, the vegetarian stock can be used instead of mushroom soaking liquid.
- 4 Shiitake mushrooms (dried, or dried Chinese black mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup lily buds (dried)
- 4 bean curd sticks (dried)
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots
- 6 fresh water chestnuts
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup Napa cabbage (shredded)
- 4 ounces snow peas
- 1/4 cup gingko nuts (canned)
- 1 inch ginger (crushed)
- For the Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons reserved mushroom soaking liquid (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Optional: salt, accent or MSG to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or peanut oil, for frying)
In separate bowls, soak the mushrooms, dried lily buds, and dried bean curd sticks in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes to soften. Squeeze out any excess liquid. Reserve the mushroom soaking liquid, straining it if necessary to remove any grit. Remove the stems and cut the mushroom tops in half if desired.
Slice the bamboo shoots. Peel and finely chop the water chestnuts. Peel the carrots, cut in half, and cut lengthwise into thin strips. Shred the Napa cabbage. String the snow peas and cut in half. Drain the gingko nuts. Crush the ginger.
Combine the reserved mushroom soaking liquid or vegetarian stock with the Chinese rice wine or sherry, dark soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Set aside.
Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the heated wok.
When the oil is hot, add the carrots. Stir-fry for 1 minute, and add the dried mushrooms and lily buds. Stir-fry for 1 minute, and add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, snow peas and ginger. Stir in the shredded cabbage and gingko nuts. Add the bean curd sticks.
Add the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down the heat and let the vegetables simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt or other seasonings as desired. Serve hot.