Bulgarian jam-filled cookies known as maslenki are popular for Christmas. This Christ jam-filled cookie recipe goes great with Turkish delight. They are traditionally made with lard, but butter will do!
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup lard or butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 jar tart jam (like rosehip, plum, raspberry or apricot)
- Garnish: confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and foamy, about 5 minutes. Melt the lard or butter and, when cooled to room temperature, add it slowly to the egg-sugar mixture with the vanilla, mixing constantly.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder, and slowly add it to the egg mixture to create a firm dough. Roll out 1/8-inch thick on parchment-lined baking pans, and cut with a round cutter. Cut out a hole in the center of half of the rounds. Remove scraps. Bake about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Sprinkle cookies with holes with confectioners' sugar. Spread cookies without holes with jam of choice. Press together jam-filled cookie with holed-cookies to form a sandwich. Store in an airtight container. If freezing, don't dust with confectioners' sugar until ready to serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|