Bulgarian drob sarma is a main course offering popular in Bulgaria and other Eastern European countries, made with chopped lamb or calf's liver and rice, topped with a savory egg custard known as zalivka.
- 1 pound lamb or calf's liver (washed, trimmed, and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bunches chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice (rinsed)
- 2 cups hot lamb or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
In a large Dutch oven, sauté liver in butter.
When nearly done, add onions and sauté a few minutes.
Add drained rice and sauté, coating with fat.
Add hot stock, salt, and pepper to taste and mint. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Heat oven to 350 F.
Transfer to a greased 9-inch-by-13-inch pan.
Combine eggs with yogurt to make the custard (zalivka) and spread over liver-rice mixture.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until custard is golden brown.