Bulgarian rice pudding, or oriz puding, is one of the most frequently served desserts in the Balkan country of Bulgaria. What sets it apart from other rice puddings is the addition of lemon zest and a pistachio and rose petal garnish. Rose water and rose oil are used in many Bulgarian dishes.
- 1/2 cup short-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip lemon zest
- Optional: pistachios and rose petals
- Place rice, sugar, milk, butter, cinnamon and zest into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring frequently, but do not let boil, for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until creamy, thick and rice is tender. Discard cinnamon stick and zest.
- Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with shelled pistachio halves and rose petals (if desired).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|