|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||28%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 20mg||98%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy busy day chili is made with lean ground beef and ingredients you probably have on hand. Garlic, onion, cumin, and chili powder are the flavor ingredients, and small red beans and tomatoes add substance and color.
This chili can also be made with canned black beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans. If you prefer a chili without beans, add more ground beef and a small amount of water broth if needed. The chili may be made with ground turkey as well.
The recipe is easily doubled for a big meal or tailgating party. Put it in a slow cooker and take it along to a potluck or party. Set the slow cooker on low for serving.
If you need an easy, hearty meal for a fall or winter day, this chili recipe is an excellent choice.
Gather the ingredients.
Add garlic to beef mixture and continue cooking for a minute or two. Drain off excess fat.
Add tomatoes, beans and liquid, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve chili with freshly baked cornbread and a tossed salad. The chili is delicious with rice as well.
- To thicken the chili, add a few tablespoons of tomato paste to the chili.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of minced jalapeño pepper to the chili, or a small can of mild chopped green chile peppers.
- Sauté about 1/2 cup of diced green or red bell pepper along with the ground beef and onions.
- Sauté a shredded carrot to the ground beef and onion mixture. It's a great way to get an extra vegetable into the kids, and it adds some subtle natural sweetness.
- Top servings of the chili with sliced green onions, shredded cheddar jack or pepper jack cheese, pickled jalapeño rings, or a dollop of sour cream.