This butter pecan cake is made with lots of toasted, buttery pecans. It's a two layer cake frosted with a buttery pecan frosting. A small amount of brown sugar goes into the cake, along with butter, pecans, and eggs. It's an easy classic layer cake.
- 1 1/2 cups pecans (chopped)
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- For the Butter Pecan Frosting:
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk (or light cream)
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch round layer cake pans.
- In a baking pan, combine the chopped pecans with the 4 tablespoons of butter. Bake for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the pecans are toasted and aromatic. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; whisk to blend thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the granulated sugar and brown sugar with the remaining 2/3 cup of softened butter for 4 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the 2/3 cup of milk. Beat well after each addition. Fold in half — 3/4 cup — of the toasted pecans.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared layer cake pans. Spread evenly.
- Bake the butter pecan cake layers in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of a cake.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool thoroughly before frosting.
Make the Frosting
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, blend the 3 cups of confectioners' sugar with the 6 tablespoons of softened butter, a pinch of salt, 1 1.2 teaspoons of vanilla, and 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk or light cream. If the frosting is too thin, add more confectioners' sugar..
- Stir in the remaining chopped toasted pecans.
- Spread the frosting between layers and then over the top and sides of the cake.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|