Rum gives a little kick to these tasty butter cookies. Extra butter rum flavoring could be added in place of the vanilla extra for even more rum flavor if that suits your tastes or the tastes of whoever you're baking these for!
- 1 cup butter (soft)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (divided)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon butter rum flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons rum
- 2 1/2 cups flour (unsifted)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Cream butter with 3/4 cup sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks, flavorings, and rum.
- Gradually add flour, using hands to knead in last of it.
- When the dough is smooth, shape into rolls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, wrap in waxed paper and place in the refrigerator. Chill for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Cut into 1/4-inch slices and roll each slice with hands, to form a ball. Roll balls in a mixture of the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the orange zest.
- Place on cookie sheet and flatten with a flat bottom glass dipped in the sugar-orange mixture.
- Bake on lightly greased and floured baking sheets at 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes. Store cookies in an airtight container for at least 1 day before serving for best flavor.
More Dessert Recipes With Rum
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|