Biscuits and gravy were a major comfort home in my house growing up. I still loving making this indulgent breakfast today! The creamy sausage gravy and the warm, flaky, buttery buttermilk biscuits...there's simply nothing better! Funny enough, it's not my husband's favorite, so I get to eat all of it whenever I make it!
It's a great breakfast to make for a large crowd. The biscuits are pretty easy to make and the sausage gravy comes together in no time. Serve the biscuits and gravy with a side of scrambled eggs and you've got a complete breakfast!
The biscuits can easily be made with a bowl and two forks, but it turns out the best if you have a food processor! You want to try and touch the dough as little as possible. Heat makes the little butter cubes melt and then you won't have flaky biscuits!! I like really tall biscuits so I like to roll out the dough into a really thick sheet. This recipe will make 6-8 super thick biscuits or more if you make them on the thinner side!
- For the Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 4 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter (cold)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups butter milk (or regular milk with 2 teaspoons of vinegar mixed in)
- Garnish: melted butter to slather on the biscuits
- For the Sausage Gravy:
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons season salt
- Garnish: chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients and butter in food processor, pulse until it forms fine crumbs. If you don't have a food processor use a pastry blender or two forks. Be careful not to over mix or to use your hands. You want the little chunks of butter to stay intact!
- Add in buttermilk as you pulse.
- Turn out dough onto a clean flour surface.
- Roll out into a thick sheet, about 1/2-1 inch thick. The thicker the sheet, the taller the biscuit!
- Cut using a biscuit cutter and place onto an un-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with melted butter if you wish!
- Cook sausage in an iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet. Break into crumbles while cooking.
- Add flour and mix until combined.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
- Add pepper, salt, and season salt. Add the salt a little at a time, some breakfast sausage is saltier than others!
- Top the gravy onto the biscuits and dig in. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley if you wish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||43 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|