This vanilla buttermilk cake would make a great finale for a big family gathering or a spring holiday or birthday meal. Choose a creamy vanilla frosting or a cream cheese frosting for this cake. If you are partial to chocolate frosting, that would be delicious as well. Top the frosted cake with toasted pecans or toasted coconut for an extra-special look. Add both if you want to really doll it up.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F for a single layer or 375 F for a 2-layer cake.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt and whisk to blend thoroughly.
- In mixing bowl, cream the shortening and butter.
- Add the sugar gradually to the shortening and butter mixture, creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat until very light.
- Add the vanilla and lemon extract to the creamed mixture and blend well.
- Combine the buttermilk and vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture.
- Beat until the batter is smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased 7x10x2-inch baking pan or 2 8-inch layer cake pans.
- Bake the single pan at 350 F for 35 to 45 minutes; layers at 375 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Frost with vanilla or chocolate buttercream or cream cheese frosting, as desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|