This buttermilk pie has the wonderful tangy flavor from the buttermilk and some lemon juice and zest. This is a surprisingly easy filling to make, and you can use a frozen pie crust or homemade pastry in the recipe. It's a tasty version of the classic chess pie, a Southern favorite.
This pie, with the hint of lemon in the filling, is delicious with freshly whipped cream and shreds of lemon zest. Or top it with a big dollop of frozen (thawed) whipped topping.
The pictured buttermilk chess pie was made with a partially baked frozen pie crust.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (full fat), well shaken
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- First, partially bake the pie crust. If using a packaged pie pastry or frozen pie shell, check the package directions for time and temperature. If you are using a homemade pie crust recipe or there are no instructions to follow, heat the oven to 450 F (230 C/Gas 8). Line the pie shell with parchment paper or foil and fill about two-thirds full with pie weights and/or dried beans. Bake for 12 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6). Remove the pie crust from the oven and carefully remove the pie weights and foil or paper. Return to the oven for 3 minutes, or just until it begins to show some color. Remove the pie to a rack and reduce the oven temperature to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, cornmeal, flour, and salt. Blend well.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs with the buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients and blend well. Pour the pastry into the par-baked crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes; reduce the heat to 325 F (165 C/Gas 3) and bake for about 25 minutes longer, or until the pie filling is set. It should be fairly firm in the center with little or no jiggle.
- Remove to a rack to cool. Chill before serving.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream or frozen thawed whipped topping. Sprinkle with shreds of lemon zest, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|