These sandwiches are quick and easy to prepare and fry and they make a fabulous meal with coleslaw or a tossed salad or take along to a tailgating event. Serve the sandwiches warm or cold with Chipotle Mayonnaise, a Sriracha mayonnaise blend, or ranch-style buttermilk dressing.
Buy thin chicken cutlets or slice each chicken breast half horizontally to form two cutlets. If the chicken breast halves are quite small, pound them gently to an even thickness. For a lighter version use oven fried chicken breasts in the sandwiches.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast halves (boneless)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 to 8 lettuce leaves
- 4 sandwich buns, hoagie rolls, or mini baguettes
- Optional: mayonnaise, buttermilk dressing, Sriracha mayonnaise, or dressing of choice
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin slices horizontally, or slice into thin strips. Put in a food storage bag. Add the buttermilk and Creole seasoning and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Put the flour in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk marinade, shaking off excess. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil to 325° F in a deep frying pan.
- Dredge the seasoned chicken pieces in the flour and fry in batches in the hot oil for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until cooked through, turning to brown both sides. Transfer to paper towel lined platter while frying the remaining pieces.
- Arrange chicken (warm or cold) on lettuce-lined rolls and top with mayonnaise, buttermilk dressing, Sriracha mayonnaise, or other dressing.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|