An easy Cheddar cheese sauce, dill, and saltines make this cabbage casserole a delicious side dish. Serve this cabbage casserole with a ham dinner, corned beef, or pork.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup saltine or cheese cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dillweed
- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet; add crackers and dillweed. Saute until the butter is lightly browned; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, boil cabbage in about an inch of water just until tender, or about 12 minutes.
- Drain well and transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. In the same saucepan melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Blend in flour then slowly stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce thickens and begins to boil. Add pepper, pimiento, and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the cabbage and stir lightly. Sprinkle buttered cracker crumbs over top of the cabbage. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
You Might Also Like
Cabbage with Tangy Sauce
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|