An easy Cheddar cheese sauce, dill, and saltines make this cabbage casserole a delicious side dish. Serve this cabbage casserole with a ham dinner, corned beef, or pork to add a burst of protein so your family and friends are getting all the nutrients and delicious flavors they need.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup saltine or cheese cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dillweed
- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet; add crackers and dillweed. Saute until the butter is lightly browned; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, boil cabbage in about an inch of water just until tender, or about 12 minutes.
- Drain well and transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. In the same saucepan melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Blend in flour then slowly stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly until sauce thickens and begins to boil. Add pepper, pimiento, and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the cabbage and stir lightly. Sprinkle buttered cracker crumbs over top of the cabbage. Bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|