This easy cabbage recipe is a flavorful au gratin style casserole cooked with butter and a creamy sauce. Before baking, the casserole is topped with cheddar cheese and buttery bread crumbs.
- 1 medium head cabbage sliced thin
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Boil sliced cabbage in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain and add 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- In a greased 3-quart or 13x9x2-inch pan, layer half of drained cabbage, pour half of the cream sauce, then the rest of the cabbage and cream sauce on the top.
- Sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss with breadcrumbs; sprinkle over the cheese layer.
- Bake uncovered in a 350° oven for about 40 to 45 minutes. Serves 10 to 12.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|