The flavor of this tasty cabbage soup is enhanced by chopped onion, diced potatoes, shredded cabbage and seasonings. Its creamy texture makes it a satisfying, hearty dish that will warm you up even on the coldest days.
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cabbage (coarsely shredded)
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups potato (diced)
- 1 can/14 1/2 ounces evaporated milk
- Optional: minced parsley
- Optional: dash paprika
- In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-low heat; cook onion until golden in color. Stir in flour until well blended.
- Add cabbage and carrots along with the broth, salt, pepper, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Add milk. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, added more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Sprinkle each serving with a little parsley and a dash of paprika, if desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|