Cabbage and Chinese sausage pair together nicely in this simple home-cooked dish. Both Chinese pork sausages and hot bean sauce are available at Asian markets. Hot bean sauce (Toban Djan) is a fermented paste that combines hot chilies with broad beans, also called fava beans. If you don't want to add a cornstarch/water thickener at the end, reduce the amount of chicken broth to 2 tablespoons.
Cabbage with Chinese sausage serves 4 to 6 as a side dish.
- 1 - 1 1/4 pounds suey choy (Napa cabbage)
- 2 Chinese pork sausages (Lop Cheong)
- 2 green onions (spring onions, scallions)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) hot bean sauce (Toban Djan)* or chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil for stir-frying
- 2 garlic cloves (minced, about 3 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- Remove the core from the cabbage. Chop the leaves crosswise into even pieces about 1 1/2 inches wide. Thinly slice the sausage on the diagonal. Chop the green onion into 1-inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, hot bean sauce, and sugar. In a separate small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water.
- Preheat a wok over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and salt. Stir for 10 - 15 seconds.
- Add the lower white parts of the green onion, and the sausage. Stir-fry the sausage for 2 minutes.
- Push the sausage to the sides of the pan. Add the chopped cabbage. Sprinkle the rice wine or sherry over. Stir-fry for about 1 1/2 minutes, until the green leaves darken slightly.
- Restir the sauce and pour it over the cabbage. Reduce heat and let simmer for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the green onions. Check the seasoning, adding soy sauce, salt or pepper if desired.
- Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick re-stir. Turn the heat back up and add the mixture in the middle of the wok, stirring quickly to thicken. Stir to mix everything together and serve hot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|