These Cajun burgers are perfectly seasoned and topped with a delicious Louisiana remoulade sauce. The spice blend is a snap to throw together with seasonings you probably have on hand. If you don't have a well-stocked spice cabinet, feel free to use a store-bought Cajun seasoning blend.
The remoulade sauce adds authentic Cajun flavor and a bit of heat to the burgers. Add your favorite toppings to these juicy, delicious burgers. Sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onions, and lettuce are excellent choices. If you like cheeseburgers, top each burger with a slice of cheddar or American cheese a minute or two before they are finished cooking.
- For the Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried onion powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (dried)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 green onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Frank's, Texas Pete, Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon dill relish (or finely chopped dill pickle)
- 3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- For the Burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80/20 or 85/15)
- 1/3 cup onion (finely minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Optional: sandwich buns and burger toppings
Gather the ingredients.
In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, kosher salt, thyme, and the black and cayenne peppers. Stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a jar with a lid.
In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the finely chopped green onion, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, and dill relish. Add 3/4 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning (or to taste). Cover and refrigerate the remoulade until serving time.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, minced onion, pressed garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Cajun seasoning mixture. Mix to blend thoroughly.
With your hands of a burger press, shape the meat mixture into four burgers. Each burger will weigh approximately 6 ounces. With your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each burger. Refrigerate the burgers until it is time to cook. Store the remaining Cajun seasoning in a cool, dark place.
Heat the grill to medium-high heat. When the grill is hot, brush the grate with olive oil or canola oil. Place the burgers on the grill, indentation side up and grill for about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers and continue grilling for about 4 to 5 minutes longer, or until the burgers register 160 F, the minimum safe temperature recommended by the USDA.
Transfer the burgers to a plate or rack and tent with foil. Let them rest for 5 minutes.
Assemble the burgers on buns with your choice of toppings, along with a generous amount of remoulade sauce.