This Cajun rice dish typically cooked with chicken livers and/or gizzards and ground meat. The variety of meats gives the rice its signature "dirty" look.
This version is made with ground pork or ground sausage. Substitute ground chicken, turkey or ground beef for the pork.
- 3/4 pound chicken gizzards
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or beef broth)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings (or oil)
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/2 pound ground pork (or pork sausage)
- 1/2 cup onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (chopped, or a combination of red and green)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (kosher)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or a dash of Tabasco sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 pound chicken livers (minced)
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the chicken or beef broth to a boil. Add the chicken gizzards to the broth and reduce heat to low; simmer the gizzards for 30 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and grind them or chop them very finely. Reserve the broth.
- Add the drippings or oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter to a Dutch oven or flame-proof casserole over medium heat. When the oil and butter mixture is hot, add the ground pork and ground or chopped gizzards. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned.. Lower the heat, add vegetables and seasonings, and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 250 F.
- Add the rice and reserved broth and then quickly bring to a boil. Stir, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Saute minced chicken livers in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter for 3 minutes.
- Toss the minced chicken livers with the rice, taste for seasoning, and adjust with more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Cover the pan or casserole and place it in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the ground pork with ground sausage, ground beef, or ground turkey thighs.
- Omit the gizzards and increase the ground pork or sausage to 1 pound and the chicken livers to 3/4 to 1 pound.
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley to the finished dish.
You Might Also Like
Rice Dressing (aka Dirty Rice) - Made with ground beef.
Easy Baked Dirty Rice - No organ meats, just ground pork, chicken, turkey, or beef.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|