Most purchased Cajun and Creole seasoning blends contain varying amounts of salt. This homemade version is a typical blend of ingredients, but without the salt. When you use this blend in a recipe, just add salt to suit your taste and your diet.
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika (ground, sweet)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns (black)
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper (flakes)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Grind all ingredients in a spice grinder, small processor, or coffee grinder.
- Use the spice blend in any recipe calling for Cajun spices. Since this seasoning blend does not contain salt—many seasoning blends do—make sure to taste the food and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Makes about 1/2 cup of Cajun seasoning.
- Keep a spare coffee grinder in the cabinet just for grinding whole spices. This coffee grinder has a removable cup for easy cleaning.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|