When your sweet tooth needs a treat, these incredibly easy four-ingredient brownies do the trick. All you need is a box of pudding mix, milk, a box of cake mix, and a bag of chocolate chips. That's it! These effortless cake mix brownies are like a blank slate for creativity. The basic chocolate brownies can be enjoyed plain or topped with powdered sugar, a drizzle of melted white chocolate, or served a la mode with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of warm chocolate sauce. Of course, you can swap out the flavors of pudding mix and cake mix or try different baking chips to create endless brownie flavors as well.
- For the Brownies:
- 1 (3.9-ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Optional toppings:
- Powdered sugar
- White chocolate
- Vanilla ice cream
Gather the ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 F. Cover a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick foil, allowing a few inches of foil to hang over the edges. Lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the instant chocolate pudding mix and the cold milk.
Add the box of chocolate cake mix and whisk until smooth and combined.
Stir in the bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top springs back lightly when touched.
Cool completely in the pan.
When ready to serve, lift the brownies from the pan using the extra foil overhang. Slide the brownies on to a cutting board, cut into 24 squares and serve.
If desired, the brownies can be topped and served in a variety of different ways. The tops can be dusted with powdered sugar.
The brownies can be drizzled with melted white chocolate.
The brownies can be served a la mode with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of hot fudge sauce.
Enjoy! These brownies can be covered and stored at room temperature for 3 days, or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
This recipe for cake mix brownies follows a basic ratio of ingredients, so the possibility of variations is endless.
- Butterscotch Blondies: Follow the same recipe, but use butterscotch pudding mix, yellow cake mix, and butterscotch chips
- Black and White Brownies: Follow the same recipe but use vanilla pudding mix, chocolate cake mix, and white chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies: Follow the same recipe but use 1 cup of peanut butter chips and 1 cup of chopped peanuts.
- Mint Chip Brownies: Follow the same recipe but use mint chocolate chips and add 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract into the batter.