The great thing about this recipe is that it uses the salad dressing as a marinade. This allows the flavors in the chicken to match the rest of the salad.
- For the Dressing and Marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Optional: 1 teaspoon shallots (chopped)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the Chicken Salad:
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce (washed and cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 pound pancetta (cooked, drained, and cut into small pieces)
- 2 avocados (peeled and diced)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese (crumbled)
Combine dressing ingredients and pour 1/4 cup/60 mL of the mixture into a resealable bag.
Add chicken breasts to the bag, seal, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Reserve remaining dressing in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Grill chicken over medium-high heat until the thickest part of breast reaches 165 F. On a gas grill it will take about 6 to 8 minutes per side. On a charcoal grill, it will take about 10 minutes per side.
Once cooked, remove chicken from heat and place onto a cutting board. Let rest for a few minutes.
Cut chicken into thin strips. Toss lettuce and arugula with refrigerated dressing and add the remaining ingredients. Top with chicken strips.