- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup carrots (cut in 1/8-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup celery (cut in 1/8-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 pounds velveeta cheese (cut in small cubes)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh, chopped)
- Garnish: pickled Jalapeno slices or roasted red bell pepper slices
- Melt the butter in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the carrots, onions, and celery all at once and sauté until tender.
- Add flour and stir until flour is blended into the butter.
- Cook until mixture begins to turn a light brown color (a light roux).
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth a little at a time. Continue to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base if formed.
- Add half and half, being careful not to let it boil.
- Add cheese, stirring until cubes are melted. If too thick, add more half-and-half or some milk to thin.
- Just before serving add parsley. Garnish with the jalapeno pepper slices or roasted red bell pepper slices.
You Might Also Like
Broccoli Cheese Soup
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|