The candy appley is a very fun way to enjoy moonshine! It's a sparkling apple cocktail that's perfect for autumn and sure to appeal to almost anyone.
Created by Sam Hernandez, the recipe features a salted caramel-flavored moonshine. It plays very well against a backdrop of a nice apple liqueur and cranberry juice. To top it off, you'll need sparkling apple cider.
The cocktail's finishing touch is the coconut flake rim, which is unique unto itself and adds a fun new dimension. If you are not a big fan of coconut, rim only half of the glass and take sips on either side so you can experience the two tastes to see which you like better.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the moonshine, apple liqueur, and cranberry juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Strain into the prepared glass.
Top with sparkling apple cider and garnish with an apple wheel.
Serve and enjoy!
- The recipe originally called for salted caramel corn whiskey, but you may use any available brand of salted caramel moonshine.
- Coconut flakes can be difficult to stick to a rim. One of the best options is to use a thick simple syrup to wet the rim before rolling it in the flakes.
- Anytime you cut an apple garnish, dip the slice in lemon juice then shake off the excess. This will halt the oxidation process that causes the fruit's flesh to turn yellow.
- Switch the sparkling cider (nonalcoholic) with a hard cider if you like. Try to find one that's carbonated or add a splash of soda.
- Unflavored moonshine can be used and may be easier to find. To bring back that caramel flavoring, add about 1 tablespoon of caramel syrup (used for flavored coffee or a dessert topping) to the cocktail shaker.
- This is a fantastic cocktail with regular aged whiskey as well. Choose a good bourbon or try it with rye whiskey. Add the caramel syrup if you like.
How Strong Is a Candy Appley?
If you mix your drink with an 80-proof apple liqueur and an 80-proof moonshine, the candy appley will mix up to about 18 percent ABV (36 proof), which is a mid-range alcohol content for cocktails. It's neither too light nor too strong, but you will feel the effects after a couple of rounds.