These candy cane cookies make a festive treat for the holidays.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or light cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (or enough of the desired color)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies mixed with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or red decorating sugar
Into a mixing bowl, measure flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar with the butter until blended. Beat in the milk or cream, the egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Stir in the flour mixture.
Divide the dough into two even portions. In a bowl, combine one portion with the red food color. Mix until well blended.
Cover the portions and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
For each candy cane, on a lightly floured surface, take 1 teaspoonful of plain dough and roll into a 4-inch rope. Repeat, using the tinted dough. Place the ropes side-by-side and gently twist together. Pinch ends lightly to seal and curve one end to form candy cane shape. Using a spatula, move cookie to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake the cookies at 375 F for 9 to 11 minutes, or until just lightly browned around edges. Put the pan on a rack and immediately sprinkle with some of the decorating sugar, if using.
Remove to racks with a spatula and let cool completely.
Store in tightly covered container for up to 1 week.
You Might Also Like