These candy cane cookies make a festive treat for the holidays.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or light cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (or enough of the desired color)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies mixed with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or red decorating sugar
- Into a mixing bowl, measure flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar with the butter until blended. Beat in the milk or cream, the egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Stir in the flour mixture.
- Divide the dough into two even portions. In a bowl, combine one portion with the red food color. Mix until well blended.
- Cover the portions and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- For each candy cane, on a lightly floured surface, take 1 teaspoonful of plain dough and roll into a 4-inch rope. Repeat, using the tinted dough. Place the ropes side-by-side and gently twist together. Pinch ends lightly to seal and curve one end to form candy cane shape. Using a spatula, move cookie to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies at 375 F for 9 to 11 minutes, or until just lightly browned around edges. Put the pan on a rack and immediately sprinkle with some of the decorating sugar, if using.
- Remove to racks with a spatula and let cool completely.
- Store in tightly covered container for up to 1 week.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|