Grape leaves can be canned or frozen. These canned grape leaves are almost identical to the commercial ones, and just as easy to use when making dolmas (stuffed grape leaves).
- 35 grape leaves (freshly picked)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup water
- Bring a large pot of water plus 2 tablespoons salt to a boil. Meanwhile, wash the grape leaves well and snip off the stems as close to the leaf as possible.
- Immerse the grape leaves in the boiling water for 40 seconds. Remove and immediately rinse the leaves under cold water.
- Stack 5 with the stem ends all facing the same way. Roll from the sides into a cigar-shaped bundle. Place the bundles in a pint canning jar stem end up, leaving at least 1/2-inch headspace above the stems (you made need to fold the tip ends shorter in order to do this).
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Turn off the heat. Stir in the lemon juice or citric acid.
- Pour the liquid over the grape leaves. Screw on a 2-piece canning lid. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|